Wednesday, February 07, 2007

bogota!





arriving in Bogota left me breathless, literally. Bogota is located 2600 meters above sea level, bordered by the mountain peaks of Mt Monserrate and Mt Guadalupe. I did not know what to expect in this city that sounds of salsa and tastes of coffee, home to several close friends, one of whom joined me on this chapter of my journey, my dear Dave! he placed us safely in the north of the city, near the eateries and nightlife of parque 93. but it was not until I ventured to the center of the city, the old world sector of La Candelaria that I fell in love with Bogota. the streets are cobbled and the buildings are filled with color and charm. this is where most of the political buildings are located, providing perhaps a false sense of safety amidst the many armed guards. here too are the museums, namely the Museo del Oro (gold museum) which was most impressive, revealing more than 34,000 gold pieces from all the major pre-Hispanic cultures in Colombia. one of the richest art collections of South America is found at the Donacion Botero, housing the works of Fernando Botero, the most prominent artist of this vibrant land.

2 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My grandparents got married at that Cathedral!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger constanza said...

You had amazing weather! the light is so beautiful... I am so glad you liked Bogota. Parque del 93 is great too and I am very fond of the old part of town myself.
You are looking thin my dear, are you passing up all the deep fried delicacies? or is it all the dancing?
xo
C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home