Thursday, November 22, 2007

the green city

In the early afternoon I arrived in Bern, the capital of Switzerland, in time for lunch with Florian, a Zurich local who I had met in Hanoi many months ago. Bern is a tiny city of 130,000, considered one of the most charming in Switzerland. unmistakably the sandstone buildings create a uniformity of green. the perfectly preserved medieval street plan, with its arcades, street fountains and clock towers persuaded UNESCO to deem Bern a World Heritage Site. what I found most appealing was the Paul Klee Museum, a grand edifice constructed by architect Renzo Piano. Klee is my most revered artist and reason enough to come to this city where he spent much of his life. after many hours lost in the fascinating mind of Klee, I was met by Mathias, a friend from long ago with whom I had shared many travel adventures. and now our Swiss chapter was about to begin...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home