Sunday, October 07, 2007

aix-en-provence



I arrived to Aix-en-Provence in the midst of the rugby chaos, as France was playing against New Zealand in nearby Marseilles. I thought I would be safe in the charming little city of Aix, but it seemed to be most densely populated with fans of this sport I was mildly intrigued with. had it been tennis I would have most fervently joined in the revelry! it took a few days to settle and find a home, but soon I was living within this maze of fountains and history, walking the streets of a city where Cezanne spent so many years of his life, drinking cafe au lait in his local haunt, a place where he, Emile Zola and the many artists of their time would disect their ponderings for hours. my mornings were spent in the sunshine, walking through the fruit and vegetable market, followed by the flower market...followed by a stop at a boulangerie for a pain au chocolat...slowly my French was improving as I met locals and found most creative ways to express my thoughts in a language that I am determined to master.

Cezanne's atelier where he would sit for long hours and paint his most revered still life compositions...Sainte-Victoire mountain in the distance...a place Cezanne would often seek refuge and inspiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home